What not to feed a dog
Foods that you should never give your dog include the following:
- Aloe vera – the sap contains a substance that can cause intestinal upset. Products that are intended for ingestions, such as aloe vera juice, have had this substance removed.
- Avocado and other pitted foods such as peaches and apricots (note that the flesh from these foods is fine for dogs; it’s the pits and skins that are problematic)
- Bread dough – the problem is not the ingredients but the fact that a dog that eats raw bread dough will be experiencing the dough rising in his gut. This is both painful and it will result in an upset stomach. Your dog can also get drunk on the fermentation process. If your dog eats raw bread dough he needs to go to the veterinarian immediately.
- Caffeine – causes many of the same problems as chocolate. Too much caffeine could be fatal.
- Chocolate – the darker the chocolate, the worse it is for your dog. Contains theobromine and caffeine which can accelerate your dog’s heart rate and increase his respiration. If your dog eats enough chocolate, he could die.
- Cooked bones – cooked bones can break and puncture the gastrointestinal system; however, raw bones are softer and are usually fine for dogs.
- Corn on the cob – corn is safe but the cobs can be very dangerous. They can get stuck in your dog’s digestive system and cause serious problems.
- Garlic – small amounts won’t hurt your dog and are frequently used in herbal remedies and dog cookies. However, large amounts or daily usage can have the same affect as onions on dogs, resulting in anemia. Garlic is a member of the onion family.
- Grapes, raisins, and currants – they may be coated with a mycotoxin which doesn’t affect humans but which is dangerous to dogs. Can be toxic to some dogs.
- Macadamia nuts – can be deadly to dogs. The reason is unknown. If your dog eats macadamia nuts, take him to the vet immediately. Most other nuts are safe for dogs to eat, but be careful that nuts don’t become a choking hazard.
- Moldy food – can cause tremors and seizures. Do not give your dog moldy food, even if you are cleaning out your refrigerator! If your dog eats a small amount of moldy food, he may only have an upset stomach, but eating a lot of moldy food could be very dangerous. If your dog is having tremors, take him to the vet immediately!
- Mushrooms – the mushrooms that you serve with your meals are safe for dogs. However, some mushrooms that grow wild in your yard can be toxic. If your dog eats mushrooms outside, you may need to take him to the vet. If your dog starts to drool or have a glassy-eyed look, go to the vet immediately! Vomiting and diarrhea can also be symptoms that your dog has eaten toxic mushrooms.
- Nutmeg – Can be very harmful to dogs. If your dog eats nutmeg, take him to the vet.
- Onions – very harmful to dogs; deadly to cats. Eating onions, onion powder, or cooked onions, especially on a regular basis, can lead to anemia in dogs. Do not give your dog onions.
- Persimmons, peaches, and plums
- Potato, rhubarb, and tomato leaves – potatoes, tomatoes, etc., are fine; it’s the leaves which are a problem. When looking at potatoes, check for any green on the skins. This indicates the presence of solanine. It’s easy to remove the solanine by peeling the potatoes. Potatoes are frequently used in dog foods today.
- Xylitol – found in sugarless candy and chewing gum, among other things; also found in human toothpaste. You should avoid letting your dog have any artificial sweeteners.
Some people will add other items to this list, but these foods can be found on nearly every list of foods to avoid giving your dog.